Thursday, January 13, 2011

Allegra Fairweather: Paranormal Investigator

Allegra Fairweather by Jannie Nell
Carina Press
209 pages

Back of the book blurb:


Allegra Fairweather here. Paranormal investigator. Got problems with specters? Shapeshifters? I'm the woman to call. Just don't call me a Ghostbuster. The last guy who did that ended up flat on his back with my boot at his throat.
With my 99.5% success rate, solving the mystery of a bleeding rose that has sprung up on the shores of Loch Furness should have been an easy gig. But already I've heard the shriek of the local banshee, discovered two bodies (and then lost two bodies), and had a near-death encounter with a three-hundred-year-old ghost. And perhaps most dangerous of all, the hot pub owner who hired me now wants to show me exactly what's under his kilt.
Luckily, I'm ably assisted by my very own guardian angel. I'm grateful for his help-but he's also drop-dead gorgeous. A bit distracting when I've got a mystery to solve, and the clock is ticking...


I'm a little torn by this book. On one hand, it was quite a light, fluffy read - perfect for reading at the bus stop every morning. On the other hand, I had no confidence in Allegra's abilities. Then, there is the romance element that seemed too heavy-handed and out of place, but then there's the relief of it not having a HEA ending.

I loved the characters, excluding Douglas and Allegra. Douglas was underdeveloped for my tastes and seemed to become less and less important as the story went on.

Allegra kept telling us that she was an expert in paranormal investigations, though she didn't really seem able to investigate the case. There were a couple of very obvious moments where Allegra could not have solved the case without people randomly coming up and telling things at crucial things. That was disappointing. 

I also sometimes found her unprofessional, like this was her first case. The lusting after Casper (her guardian angel) frustrated me a few times and I admit that I thought she'd be faster solving the case if she wasn't mooning over the forbidden fruit.

In closing, if you're looking for a female version of Harry Dresden, this isn't it. If you like paranormal romance and are reading more for characters than plot, this might be worth you giving a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment