Sunday, July 17, 2011

Highsong by Laura Jennings

HIGHSONG by Laura Jennings


About 60 pages (according to my eReader)
Science Fiction/Adventure (though I'd class it as YA SF)
Back of the book blurb:


A young dolphin and her human ward discover they are the only defense against a massive alien onslaught.


I've put off writing this review because I'm rather torn about the book. Finally, I decided that my issue was not with the book; rather I am not the kind of reader that this book should attract.


First things first. This is well-written, organized, and a stellar showing of Jennings' talent. No doubt we'll see a lot more from her in the future and I sincerely look forward to her future work. 


For me, I was expecting more of a harder science fiction than a young adult toned novella. So, in that case, I was disappointed. Though, to be fair to the author, that's my fault and not the fault of her work. My interest in the book faded a couple of times, mostly because I struggled to connect with Harp (the human boy) and Sia (the dolphin). 


In the end, if the combination of dolphins and space travel interests you in the least, this is definitely the book for you. I'd also recommend this as a "gateway book" for anyone who hasn't read any science fiction. It has enough imagination to be different and interesting, without reading like a technical journal or assuming a base knowledge of common science fiction terms and plotlines.


It's worth picking up and giving a try.



8 comments:

  1. I'm at least curious! Especially with the dolphin. I think I know someone who might really enjoy this book. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about the book too. I love dolphins, and science fiction. :) Very very nice review. I like reading reviews like this even if the book wasn't for you. Very well done. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of times, I read books that I want no one to ever read. Ever. This wasn't one of those books. I want it to be successful because the author is talented.

    It just wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to have gateway books. I definitely need them since I'm not a sci fi girl. I like how you explained why it was not the book for you, but not necessarily a bad book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to follow you earlier. I'm following you now (my avatar is a different Twilight icon than the one in my comment photo. Don't know why)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the honest review. I might give it a try when I'm caught up on reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison - I have no idea what's going on with your photo! Kinda interesting, though!

    Brandileigh - wait, there's such a thing as catching up?!?!?

    ReplyDelete